Thursday, September 14, 2006

My Job in Baghdad, Iraq

G'Day Mate!  (An Aussie works on my team)

Temperature Update:  HOT at 115 degrees--at least it's not humid!

Attached Pictures:

(1) The picture I promised in my first email from the Lt's promotion I was able to participate in

(2) Our planning team affectionately called "Building Nations!"  For those of you who have worked with me, you will see my daytimer is close at hand--always--and I "wheeled" myself into the picture!  The Aussie on my team calls it my "wheelchair!"  Let me introduce them from left to right: US Marine Corps Chief Warrant Officer 4 (equiv. to Major) Karl Johnson, US Army Lieutenant Colonel Curtis Inman (my boss), Australian Army Major Len Darragh, US Army Sergeant First Class Durry Gann, and me. 

(3) I detoxed on Starbucks before I left but a replacement is provided every morning!  Yousra Salim makes Iraqi Chai Tea for our office and delivered my first cup in a fancy cultural fashion.  It is delicious!
  
Catch Ya' Later, Mate!


Heavier Reading for a deeper understanding of our mission and my role in Baghdad, Iraq

United States Big Picture (2006 National Security Strategy excerpts)

Help the Iraqi people defeat the terrorists and neutralize the insurgency in Iraq by integrating 3 broad tracks:   
1. Political: Work with Iraqis to:
  • Isolate hardened enemy elements who are unwilling to accept a peaceful political process;
  • Engage those outside the political process who are willing to turn away from violence and invite them into that process; and
  • Build stable, pluralistic, and effective national institutions that can protect the interests of all Iraqis.
2. Security: Work with Iraqi Security Forces to:
  • Clear areas of enemy control by remaining on the offensive, killing and capturing enemy fighters, and denying them safe haven;
  • Hold areas freed from enemy control with an adequate Iraqi security force presence that ensures these areas remain under the control of a peaceful Iraqi Government; and
  • Build Iraqi Security Forces and the capacity of local institutions to deliver services, advance the rule of law, and nurture civil society.

3. Economic: Work with the Iraqi Government to:

  • Restore Iraq’s neglected infrastructure so that Iraqis can meet increasing demand and the needs of a growing economy;
  • Reform Iraq’s economy so that it can be self-sustaining based on market principles; and
  • Build the capacity of Iraqi institutions to maintain their infrastructure, rejoin the international economic community, and improve the general welfare and prosperity of all Iraqis.
 My Organization Chart

Multi-National Force – Iraq (MNF-I) US Army Gen George Casey
                                      I
Multi-National Security Transition Command – Iraq (MNSTC-I) US Army Lt Gen Martin Dempsey
                                      I
J1 – Personnel
J2 – Intelligence
J3 – Operations
*J4 – Logistics--Show Iraqis how to procure, field, fix, move, account/report products (vehicles, weapons, ammo, fuel, medical supplies, etc)
J5 – Plans
J6 – Communications
J7 – Engineering
J8 – Comptroller (Finance)

* My Role

There are two areas MNSTC-I/J4 is concentrating on: Ministry of Defense (Iraqi Military Divisions, Battalions, Brigades, Supporting Units) and Ministry of Interior (Iraqi Police Service, National Police Service, Department of Border Enforcement, Ports of Entry).  We’ve spent the last couple of years setting up the structure and are now doing our best to prevent culture dependency on the coalition force.  In essence, we are focusing all our energy on “transitioning” everything we’ve put in place so we can bring our troops home and let the Iraqis run the show!  I have the unique opportunity to work the strategic elements of the logistics transition for the Ministry of Interior.  We are evaluating where we are and where we want to be.  Our team is mapping out the steps and milestones to achieve the end state desired.  Ultimately, this is the stuff I love to do!  It’s a combination of critical thinking, organizing, and scheduling major events to meet our mission!  

No comments: