I've worked the past couple of weekends and find it to be fun yet exhausting. It's the perfect opportunity to learn all about maintenance while getting to know the dedicated maintainers. I can devote 100% of my energy to that vice being distracted with the chaos of phone calls/emails/meetings throughout the day.

It is unusual that we fly on the weekends but we had a couple of airshows (local & Norway) and a change of command (Germany) to support.

After the flying was complete, I was able to participate in an engine run by sitting in the backseat of the cockpit--that's where the Weapon System Officer (WSO) sits in the F-15.

So with the canopy closed and both engines running, I was wearing a headset to hear the maintainer in the front seat (where the pilot sits) and the maintainer on the ground communicating. They also took the time to step me through the screens to monitor the engine run status. Overall, it was a VERY exciting experience!

So last weekend we had very little maintenance to perform so I elected to be the Pro Super (production superintendent) to save as many people working as possible. Um, I had no idea what I got myself into! I've been listening to the radio traffic for the past few months but to actually conduct/initiate is a different story! I'm sure whoever was listening to our net was thinking, "who is this chick?" Regardless, I learned quite a bit that day...
1 comment:
i hear ya. i'll be chief of command post when i get to Japan. heard i'll be working shifts also. looking forward to it though. nothing better than being in the middle of it all. gives you a good sense of purpose.
Post a Comment